F-1 Visa: Students

immigration-f1Students who wish to study in the United States may apply for F-1 visas. Applicant should apply to academic institutions and be admitted to the school and be issued a Form I-20. There is a requirement of I-901 SEVIS fee where a prospective student will be added to the SEVIS database and issued an ID number.  F-1 students must maintain their full-time status and are expected to complete their studies before their I-20 form expires.  If the students wish to continue with their progressive academic programs, they must apply for a new I-20 from the school they wish to attend to. To qualify to apply for F-1 visa, applicants are required to fulfill the following criteria:
  1. Must have a foreign residence and must have intention to return to home country upon completion of studies;
  2. Must show financial ability to pay for tuition and accommodations;
  3. Must show evidence that there is strong ties to home country such as job offers, assets, and  family members.

Period of Stay

Students may remain in F-1 status as long as they continue  studying in their academic programs.  For those prospect students who initially entered the U.S. with B-2 status may apply for a change of status to F-1. The application may be filed with the Department of Homeland Security.

Family Members of F-1 Holder

Applicant’s dependents will be issued F-2 visas. When submitting the application, a proof of the student’s relationship to his/her spouse and/or children (e.g., marriage and birth certificates.) will be required.

[Back to Other Non-immigrant Visas]